Wow was that wind howling. I sure didnt get the early start that i wanted and didnt arrive at the marina until after 10 am. So, we finally get under way and head out towards the stomping grounds. We set up, marked a few fish and caught a few. Just as we were discussing making another run the wind picked WAY up. So, we decided instead of setting up out in the deep water we'd go try the shallow bite.

So, we bucked the waves in to 10' of water and set up. To my delight we were actually marking a ton of fish in shallow! We switched our harnesses out for pygmies. We set them 20'-30' and began our troll. It wasnt long and the first board goes back...BIG CAT!:no:...We didnt go too far and hit a walleye. Turned out to be a pretty nice fish measuring just over 25".:grin:...We continued trolling east until we hit 13'. After the first pass we had the fish narrowed down to a smaller area. From then on we shortened up our passes and finished up our limit in no time...then got the heck outta there! You know its windy when you have solid 3's and 4's in that tight!

Anyway, heres a few photos my Dad took. Tried to get his mug in there, but the pot licker wasnt having any of that.:rolleyes::lol:

Walleyes033.jpg

Walleyes030.jpg

Walleyes035.jpg

NJ Adam.

Those shallow water fish have been making my trips the last 4 times out. And surprisingly, there are some real dandys still in that shallow water. That 10 pounder we took on the 19th came from those waters. I've been starting right on our shallow water ice fishing spot between Boutell and Parish roads in 15 FOW and trolling NNE, and not a soul around me. Get to 18 Foot and troll back. Also a ton of fish on that second break off Nayonquin Point in 14 to 16 FOW as well. I still believe it has a lot to do with the inner bay surface temps staying cooler this year. ;)

Yup, theres definitely fish up shallow, thats for sure. I agree that the cooler water temps are what have held our fishing this year. The past couple years we'd be up towards the end of the shipping channel or further north yet for consistant action. Lets hope the weather stays mild and keeps the fish in the inner bay...Its allot easier on the gas tank too, unless you get stupid like i did today and go for a boat ride.:rolleyes::no::lol::lol::lol: