Muskegon 7/20 am(Dreamweaver Charity)

This is late, but I was really tired Sunday evening and worked a lot yesterday.

Since most of my crew and I drive a significant distance to get to Muskegon, we opted to make a weekend out of it. Since Paulywood covered the slow report for Friday night and Saturday morning, I'll cover the Sunday morning report.

We opted to go for broke and make the run north of Duck Lake and troll toward Whitehall. We finished 2 for 5 on the morning. We fired early going 1 for 2 on a double. The lost fish hit on a braid dipsey, set on 1.5, 150' back with the purple glow tape lure(don't recall the name). The landed fish was on the rigger, 75' down off the white spinny and fly, ~13lb king.

About a 20 minutes later, we fired on the same dipsey setup. I fought this fish for about 5 minutes when she came unbuttoned. When I brought the dipsey up, the snubber swivel had broken and pulled through the barrell. :( There went our hot lure and we didn't take a hit on the dipsy the rest of the am.

About 30 minutes after that, we took a hit on 200' of copper and lemon ice. That fish came unbuttoned quickly, then I lost that lure when a boat from Whitehall steered right across the back of our boat. Thankfully, all I lost was the lure.

Our last fish came of the green super glow down 90'; ~2lb king.

All of our fish came in 80-120' of water. 3 of the hits came on NW trolls. The surface temp fluxuated from 70-73F and a nice temp break came at about 55' down where we could find 49-55F water.

Thanks to everyone for putting on this event for a good cause. I had a blast!

--Jason

Jason, Thanks for the report. I wasn't able to participate as planned, but am glad to hear you had a blast. What kind of snubber were you using that broke?

I had a snubber come apart this year, and could not find my replacement on the boat. So....I hooked the leader directly to the diver. The next hit on the diver was the last one. The wire broke just above the diver. Minus one diver, one flasher, and one fly. :angry2: It may have been a bad spot in the wire above the diver. My divers will always have a snubber from now on.

I had a couple of snubbers come apart on me last year so I added a 14 in section of 30# wire along side the snubber for a while. It didn't seem to help or hurt anything so I stopped doing it but do inspect my stuff more often and throw away anything questionable. I know guys who cut off and retie after every fish I did this most of last year and this year however I found out Sunday I no longer had enough braid left on my port diver pole to get deep as I was having to send out the backer. So I put on 300 yds of fresh Power Pro and will be a little less zealus about cutting it off in such big chunks that stuff is not cheap. Anyhow had a great time Sunday wish I had caught more fish but at least lost no gear and ended 2 for 2 looking forward to the next one will be out of Muskegon Fri morn with a friend and his dad so if anyone has a good idea sure would like to find some better fishin.

Tight Lines

Jim

I think for me it'll be a combination of doing my part on inspecting/rotating my snubbers(which I simply overlooked) and switching to the Opti snubbers that don't have the line down the middle.

I like the idea of having a snubber. It just gives the opportunity for the drag to catch up to the shock of the hit and allow line to come off the reel in a smooth, controlled manner, particularly when you're running the no-stretch stuff like braid and wire.

--Jason