Starting a Fishing Log?

I am thinking of starting a fishing log (for the first time in over 50 yrs of fishing!).  I got motivated after this weekend when we broke off a fish (broken snubber) and my buddy asked what tackle we lost.  I looked at him with a blank stare because I couldn't remember what we had out on that rod... LOL!  I think they call this disease CRS?!.  Not to mention trying to keep all of the fishing report details straight by the end of a trip. 

I know some guys keep a log so I am wondering how you keep track of not just what fish you caught (fishing report details) but how do you keep track of what stuff you have out on your lines and adjust for what's hot during the run.  Keeping track of 6, 9, 12 rods is getting difficult.  We do change baits occasionally during a trip so "scripting" our setup to start won't work (like the first 10 football plays).

I came up with an idea for a log book format that I would keep on the boat (clipboard or a binder) and scribble down notes and details as time permits (hopefully too many fish to take time out!).  It would look something like this in the pics attached.

Curious what works for you guys!

Thanks!

Trolling Log.JPG

Trolling Log Blank.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks, I also thought of a whiteboard, we could take a phone pic at the end of the trip.  Looking for ideas and as Lured Inn said, "sounds like fun" is what I fear will happen in reality.  That's why I'm looking for creative Ideas that may just work :-)

My insurance guy said to keep all receipts and take all pictures of all your tackle/gear. So once a year. I take a video on my phone flipping through the maxi mate and the plastic containers.

If I lost something I could go back through and look. I have done this before.

We just write down what works in a shared google spreadsheet on our phones.

yea I have way too much tackle to look through pictures of it and then try to figure out what I dont have any more. You would have to use a erase board and write down every bait changed. Too much work for me. Used to keep a log but quit after I learned that I kept a pretty good memory of what worked for me and when and where and also of trying to duplicate something in the log that worked under certain conditions. Then try and it doesn't work but a complete opposite program does. Happened a couple times. Figured thats fishing and Gave up on log.

Thanks for the feedback.  I agree with others that keeping a log can be a drag (pun intended).  I haven't kept a log all these years because I tend to remember what works in certain conditions and stick with what works for me.   Salmon fishing on the big lake with 6, 9 or 12 lines (vs. solo fishing with single rods or less than 4 rods) at once presents a unique opportunity to keep it all straight while we are trolling.  Especially as I learn more and pay more attention to what is in our pattern at any given time.  I will start trying different methods and see where it all goes!

For recording what worked, I will start taking more pics of the fish with the lure in it's mouth before cleaning up.  I also like the pics Dirty Dog regularly posts with lures on a piece of paper with rod/depth etc written next to it, including "hot" for the those that deserve it.  I like it.

• 4 weeks later...

I use my toughbook chartplotter for information I want to save. The SeaClear program has a built in logbook. If you put in a note it's complete with a coordinate and date automatically. At the dock or in the house you can later add all the details you want. :) Here's a screen shot. Click on pic to view.

Log book.jpg