5/29/16, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

My wife bought me some beer yesterday that had a drum photo on the cans and I saw that as a bad omen. Sure enough, we got into more freshwater drum today than we have caught all year. My clients, who have been fishing with me for years, also got into a lot of walleyes too catching their limits of 32 walleyes with steady action all day. We caught a lot of fish today on Hot N' Tots, but we probably caught more on spinner/crawler rigs with our mixed spread of cranks and crawlers. A chrome/green tot was the only one to catch any fish of several that I tried. I also tried Shad Raps, both original and rattlers, and they did not produce any fish. Most of our fish were caught up off the bottom today. The best crawler rig was a 3/8 ounce rubber core sinker to take the harness about six feet below the surface at 1.7 mph. The two spinner, flatlines that I ran were our best producers. We also caught some on bottom bouncers, but I only ran two down low in the afternoon today since the bite was more suspended. Spinner color did not seem to mater as various colors all seemed to produce fish. We had to make trolling passes today with the fairly stiff wind, and we made three long runs over about three miles of water where the fish were spread out pretty far and wide. I had some friends that were catching them deeper and some others that were catching them shallower, so water depth was not all that critical today. We probably caught a dozen sheephead today, plus catfish and some perch too, all as bonus fish for a 50+ fish day, which is some pretty good fishing indeed.

Capt. Mike Veine
  • Like 2