Cold weather boats

jdh

I've been fishing out of a 17' Lowe Side Console boat for the past couple years and because I'm running and outboard I've been able to fish in very cold weather. I'm looking to upgrade fishing boats in the next year or so - to something a little more Lake Michigan worthy, and wanted to make sure I don't have problems with the colder weather.

Anybody have some tips or good/bad experience with keeping a boat ready to go fishing until Mid-December and bringing it back out in early March?

One of the styles of boats that I've been looking at are 20-23 foot fiberglass walkaround style with single or twin outboards. Are there concerns with fiberglass in freezing weather? Am I better off looking for an aluminum boat in that size range?

I've been toying with the option of picking up and old Starcraft Islander or similar and removing the I/O and rebuilding the transom to support an outboard.

Again, any suggestions?

My glass center console works great in cold weather. Had it out once it was so cold the docks were frozen from the trailers pulling out. I fell walking on it and another boat slid off its trailer as the guy was slipping backing down the ramp.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up an Islander I/O this weekend. I have plans to convert it to an outboard setup next winter. I'm planning on getting this thing restored and using it for a long time.

imag0603.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well I've started the rebuild, or as I should call it right now - a disaster zone.  I don't have the most recent pictures, but I have the hull - floor/foam/stringers - almost fully cleaned out.  I'll post some more in a few weeks as I keep working on it.  The transom still needs to come out.  Overall, anything wood was a disaster, but the condition of the hull and anything metal is very good.  Motor was running nice before I winterized it.  I have 12 bags of trash I need to work on getting rid of.

Ed, I'll get around to restoring the trailer soon.  Once I pull the motor I'll drop the boat off in it's parking spot and bring the trailer back to the garage.  The trailer needs to be done before I start putting the boat back together.

large.starcraft1.jpg.b7a94dc536c9ea3be7elarge.starcraft2.jpg.c5e0769722e94565f8clarge.starcraft3.jpg.494c2f974085eeaaa07large.starcraft4.jpg.44bb9d64c0757ce3a9f

• 2 weeks later...

There's a new twist to the project now.  I'm getting another Islander hull delivered on Saturday.  This one has a hardtop, but no motor.  I need to figure out if I want to swap the motor to the "new" hull, or swap the hardtop to the old hull.

large.ikHjtL5.jpg.6cad8c3ff79c15fb64be84

• Like 1