new to walleye fishing

I have an islander set up for salmon fishing on Lake Michigan. What do I need to get started walleye fishing? I have started to make crawler harness. Not sure what blade so i went with Colorado blade size 6. I will like to fish Saginaw bay near Au Gres and Lake Erie out of Luna Peir. Any input would really help!! Thanks

On erie i use mainly spoons on big jon mini discs. you can run them off inlines or big boards. When the bite is slow i do use crawler harnesses but not very often. When i do run harnesses i use a one to one and a half ounce bottom walker and troll at about 1.5-1.9. Using bags that is about as slow as i can get.My buddys sportcraft can get down to 1.2 and he does better on harnesses slower then what i can get. anything from the little silver streaks to the juniors work well. Lake erie copper blades and purple or pink and you take a mess every time out. I run all 12 lb test on my rods with 12 lb flourocardon leaders. spoons i dont like are the little walleye sized stingers they bend way to easy and the paint falls off after a few times in the water. Also the little dreamweavers work well. I have recently been buying the spoon blanks from Janns Netcraft that are painted and you add the split ring and hook for a couple bucks a piece. I took a lot of fish on those including a 7 1/2 pounder last june. I do have body baits and the cotton cordel reef runner type baits but have not used them much. also hot n tots work i have a ton from my dads boat when he used to fish down there they that dont see the water much either any more. Another thing that helps when netting fish is to have a rubber walleye net. They are a little pricey but work great and the hooks never get stuck in it.

• 3 years later...
If you would to learn more about walleye fishing and more checkout the Downriver Walleye Federation.We have over 400 member's you do not have to have a boat.We have many things to offer.

The post is from 2012 he probably has it figured out. Nonetheless I would encourage anyone near you to join and anyone looking for help in any type of fishing to join a like organization.